Friday, November 11, 2005

No Funny Titles Tonight

No big reason other than I can't settle on any particular one.

There has been so much going on and a lot that I couldn't even say here if I wanted to and that sucks. I can't say what I want on my blog because I know it's being read.

I just wish I could type what's been going on, but the sad part of it is that it might actually open me up to legal trouble. Yes, I could be sued for something I say on here - which is not why you come here.

Once I hear something final about it, I'll drop the info here. For those that know me, just know that this whole incident set me off to no end, and a little bit of me is still angry. Let's also just say that I've lost some faith in Texas State University, the School of Mass Communication and Journalism (but that's because they don't know) and a little bit in some of the people at The University Star.

You know, I get told that sometimes, I shouldn't stress as much about my job as I do because some people just might not take it as seriously as I do. Well, screw that. I was hired to do a job, I'm having massive troubles trying to do it and I can't seem to please many if any.

But screw that; I do my job because deep down, I love what I do. I love being the managing editor of one of the greatest collegiate newspapers in the country (and I'll still take us against any others at any time). This paper will be great, this paper will survive with me and after me and I will do this paper proud throughout my life.

I'm going to apply for a job with MLB.com as a beat reporter for some of the MLB clubs. I've started to think about what it would mean if by some crazy thing, I got the job. I'd have to withdraw from school with about 15 hours left on my degree, but something like that job would be a dream come true even though I haven't seriously thought about that dream for a long while.

I won't get my hopes up, but it'd be a damn nice way to start things off, right?

Got to see Pat Green and a bunch of Texas Country artists a few weeks back and once again, a concert with her was one of the better nights of my life.

I even wrote my first concert review from that concert. Here it is.

The convergence on The Star's Web site has started and I got to be the first person to get it going. I filmed last week's football game and we have five clips online to back up the story. It felt so great to put to use what I gained the most from my electronic media studies and use them to better the newspaper.

Here's the football story against McNeese State (which by the way, the 'Cats handed them their asses by 40+). The video links are below the picture. I filmed the game and postgame, captured the film and then edited it for posting. Who knows, this might be another way for me to work my foot in the door on the online side of a newspaper.

I leave to Nacogdoches via The Woodlands tomorrow afternoon for the Bobcats game against Stephen F. Austin (Saturday @ 1 p.m. on Fox Sports SW). Instead of being a photojournalist/sideline reporter, I'm going to film the entire game from the sidelines. Man, this video convergence is going to be one of the best things I can help leave The Star with when it's my time to move on.

I'd like to thank Belhaven College in Mississippi for the use of one of their orientation logos in my fantasy sports teams.


I like this logo so much, I think I'm going to get an adaptation of it made into a cap. Yes, I know that's pretty nerdy, but I'm having so much fun in this fantasy basketball league I joined.

I think I'm actually writing more "news" stories for the basketball league than I am for the paper.

Be well everybody...and yes, Mandy, I'm going to try to make the poker afterparty Saturday night, but I make no promises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home