Sunday, July 31, 2005

Throwing Down The Gauntlet?

You know, I really pondered making this post since it has such close ties to what I do. But screw it, if I don't say it, who will?

While we're not in direct competition with them, the San Marcos Daily Record is the other paper in this community, along with The University Star.

In a story about the San Marcos River this past Friday, the Record (and specifically their news editor Anita Miller) had a story about the committee that's meeting to find ways to correct the problems by the waterfall.

The biggest piece to this overall story was the death in late April of senior Jason Bonnin at the falls - a story which we (including myself) ended up going to when the news broke and covered the story.

I remember that night so well. I went with Kelly, Andrew, Stephanie, Isadora and Amy to go see Uh-Huh Jackson play. Once the show finished and the bar closed @ midnight, we eventually ended up at Taco Cabana to eat. Well, as soon as I got in line to order, I got a call (from Courtney, I think) about some big thing going on at Joe's Crab Shack.

Kelly jumped in the truck with me and we met Andrew there as well as another photog and reporter on the scene. Five Star staffers - it does make one proud to see the dedication, but back to the story.

Well, in this story the Record had on Friday, Miss Miller listed the time Bonnin dove into the water as 3 a.m. - at 3 a.m. that night, I was back at the office looking up information on people we could contact about the story and any other information we could find.

Simple mistake, right? Nope.

Turns out, in another story from earlier this month, she makes the same mistake.

Taking a quick look in the Record's archives will find the staff report to list the correct times of the incidents - which were from 10:30 p.m. when the call came in to just before 1 a.m.

I'd link to our original story, but that day's archives are down at the moment.

I'm sorry, but this just bugs the hell out of me. One of our old reporters is an intern there this summer and I've met two of their reporters at other events and they were all nice people.

And people wonder why when you tell them you work(ed) at a newspaper in San Marcos, they always ask "Do you work at the good paper or the Record?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home