Monday, May 16, 2005

Why I Hate Sweeps...

I always used to think the world of broadcast journalism was pretty cool - even after I worked in a TV sports/news department for a year-and-a-half.

I just completed my broadcast media sequence at Texas State, but only because I was so far along in it when I thought of switching to print that I figured I'd just finish it and use my time at The Star to show my worth as a print/web journalist.

This is what pisses me off about sweeps (and broadcast outlets in general).



Now... here's what pisses me off.

1. Today is Tuesday, what if my child goes to that school using that bus route with that driver before Thursday? A hell of a lot of good that information does me the next three days I put my kid on that bus. Think about that.

2. Why is he back driving a bus? Because he was accused! At least that's what I know from the banner. If he was simply accused without any prosecution/evidence that confirms he did it, it might have simply been some kid mouthing off trying to get the "mean, ol' bus driver" in trouble.

3. These "Troubleshooters" (the name of the WOAI-TV crew used in the banner) are journalists, right? I'm pretty sure we're supposed to be objective to our subjects. Now, this third reason is more along the lines of a promo I saw for last night's news. They were calling people "cheapskates." Isn't that for the viewer/listener to decide for themselves after you provide them with the information?

A rant is just a rant, but man I hate sweeps months. Maybe one day I'll tell you the story of the sweeps incident at the station I worked for. Let's just say it involved oral sex on the ten o'clock news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home