Monday, July 03, 2006

The More Things Change...

I'm not sure why the title is that, but maybe it will come across in this totally unplanned, but necessary update.

I'm still in San Angelo. They haven't fired me and I haven't given them a reason to do so, so that's good.

I've received compliments on my writing from a few people in the community, which is always nice. Plus, I've received some compliments from people in the newsroom, which can't ever be bad.

I've had some good chances for stories lately since I was promoted on a temporary basis to the cops/crime/courts beat. I say it's temporary because that's what they've told me. I guess this is my chance to prove myself and what better beat to try it out with.

So I've started a second blog, which can be found at Joe Ruiz's Clips or through my profile. Right now, it's got everything posted, but I hope to narrow it down to my best stuff from the Standard-Times, The University Star and InsideThePark.com (which has died and become SeattleHardball.com).

I'm going to start applying for jobs any day now and there are a number of great leads, so I hope I'm not out of work too long before I find something. I sure as hell don't want to go back to retail again.

There has been a lot of encouragement coming from all angles lately, and there's no way I can come down from it, so I won't attempt to, but only to try and remember what Bob Bajackson tried and tried to teach me: Don't let yourself get too high or too low.

A close friend of mine is going through some tough times, and for her sake, I hope her sister can find peace. I only wish I could provide more of a shoulder to cry on or an ear to bend at this time. I can't, and for that, I apologize, G.

I'm almost halfway done with my internship and I know pretty much everyday that this is exactly what I want to do. I have job prospects, I have built up some strong clips and I've grown as a reporter. The only thing that can hold me back now is me, and I don't intend on letting that happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home